Monday, January 12, 2009

Birthday present.

My birthday was this weekend. Here is my present. (Of course A will be driving it more than I will since it will be the car he takes to work.)I'll have to post one of what ours actually looks like. Its more of a light blue.

We finally decided to get rid of our Mercury. It was very hard for me. I bought that car when A and I started dating. It had to be done though. About 6 months ago, we took it in to get an oil change. When we got it back, it was leaking oil everywhere. We took it back to have them look at it. They told us it was the lower oil gasket that was leaking (whatever that is) and they don't even touch that, so it wasn't their problem. I'm still not convinced since it was just fine before the oil change. We decided, to call a couple of shops and get some estimates. The best we found was around $500. We started saving up. We finally had enough to fix it last week, so we took it in. The repair guy actually found two leaks. The one we knew about and another one. Total cost would be over $1200. That is when we decided that if we were going to shell out that much, we might as well buy a new car. Our Mercury wasn't even worth the $1200. (probably not even worth the $500).


Our new car is a 2007 Toyota Yaris. It has just under 10k miles on it. It drives really well and we don't have any problems putting 2 car seats in the back. 3 might be a little harder though. The weird thing will be having to make car payments. We haven't done that for about 4 years now. Its going to be strange to have to do it again. At least we already know that our budget can handle it.

5 comments:

Trevor and Jamie said...

Wow! Very exciting! I'm jealous! :)

benandkiki said...

Wow, that's a nice birthday gift. Congratulations on the new car. We're looking forward to the time when we buy a bigger vehicle. So when do you get to find out the gender? I'm dying to know.

coxandroberts said...

What a great bday present! It is always fun to have a new car. We had to do the samething with our venture. Everytime we fixed something something else would go wrong. The breaks, the starter, the a/c (which was bad in San Diego), and then the breaks again. We put more into than it was worth so we finally traded it for an Odyssey. LOVE IT! If we hadn't had to drive to MI we may have kept it. Hate those payments but it is such a great van!

The Millers said...

I have an appointment to find out on Feb 9th. I'm so excited. I can't believe that I am far enough along for the ultrasound already.

Marsh Family said...

My birthday is in September. I won't be picky, I'll take a small Toyota, as well. Thanks!
Joy