Monday, March 16, 2009

Can't turn my back for a minute.

So this morning, I decided to light one of those scented oil candles. It was great. The house was starting to smell like strawberries. Later, I went to help S in the other room. While I was in there, I noticed the smell in the house seemed to change. Now it smelled like melted plastic and smoke. I ran into the smoky living room to check the candle. It looked fine, but the oil had burned out. I blew out the candle and looked around. What I found was this:







There was also a back pack that had one of the straps melted. (Hence the melted plastic smell.)

Apparently, D had climbed up on the couch where he could reach the candle, and stuck a piece of paper in it. Then he let the paper burn until it burned his finger, and dropped the paper. (He has a small blister.) It landed on blanket that I hadn't picked up. He didn't bother to call me, but at least he was smart enough to grab his water bottle and used it to put out the fire. He burn a good bit of the blanket, a little bit of the rug and carpet. I put the phone there in one picture so you could get an idea of how big the burn was. It could have been a lot worse.

I guess I need to talk to our landlord because there was not a smoke detector that went off. That is a bit scary. Fortunately the only injury was the little blister. The fire was put out quickly and not a ton of damage. (Good job D on getting it out so fast.) I guess in the future, I will have to remember to put out any candles if I am going to leave the room even for just a few minutes.

6 comments:

Emily Shaw said...

oh wow! I'm so glad D got it out fast too. How scary!

RazakFamily said...

Oh my goodness! What blessings that no one was hurt (besides a blister). I will always be sure to put my candles up WAY high now!!
If you need some help, I'll help you make a new blanket to replace the burned one :)

coxandroberts said...

Have you tried Scentsy Candles? They work great and are wickless. I can go anywhere and leave it on without worrying about it. You are very lucky. And lucky to have a fast thinking son.

Marsh Family said...

Wow, that was some quick thinking to put the fire out. Unfortunately, he also started it, but a good kid, none the less. Tell that landlord, you don't want to die, you would rather have a smoke detector!

benandkiki said...

How scary! I'm so glad you all are ok. It's funny how you get things you think are safer only to find out that kids can make almost anything dangerous. How fun that you've been running into lots of people from Great Falls. I love seeing people I used to know.

zoo keeper said...

you must have had a little lephrican on your shoulder today watching out for you guys!!